Monday, September 21, 2015

Tomato Bonus Round No. 1 -- Tomato Jam


Well, it certainly looks like I'll be harvesting another few pounds of ripe tomatoes, not to mention all the green ones, so yesterday I decided to attack the latest batch and make tomato jam using canning goddess Marisa McLellan's recipe on her blog, Food In Jars. At the last minute I decided to tweak it using another of her recipes, this one another version of Tomato Jam from her second fabulous book:  Preserving By the Pint.  It calls for a teaspoon of smoked paprika, which I thought would go wonderfully with the honey in the original recipe.

I had about 5 pounds of tomatoes to start with and it all cooked down into just under 5 half-pint jars of total yumminess!  You can see the jar on the right isn't quite full -- that'll be my sample jar.  Having taste-tested it while it was cooking down I can definitely see this paired with a nice Brie or Camembert and a nice crisp glass of Chablis!

Definitely something to look forward to!

UPDATE:  September 22, 2015 -- I just tried a wedge of basic supermarket old cheddar with a dollop of this tomato jam and it is FABULOUS!!  The balance of sweet, smoke and acid in the jam plays wonderfully off the sharpness of the cheddar.  In a word:  YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment