Thursday, September 10, 2015

An auspicious start? Maybe not.

Starting this blog is something that I have wanted to do for quite a while now and part of my procrastination has been deciding on when to start it.  My life is full of works-in-progress and on-going projects and there hasn't been a moment in time yet where I've thought it to be a logical starting point.

The seeds of this blog were planted several years ago when I started looking for information about vegetable gardening and preserving the harvest, specifically canning.  I have stumbled across hundreds of amazing blogs in my meandering through the Internet and I have gained much knowledge from them.  The thought occurred to me to chronicle my own application of this knowledge in my quest to live better by eating locally and perhaps inspire you to live better by eating locally too.

Initially I viewed this as another project to have fun with in my retirement however, I still have a little less than 2 years to go before I actually do retire, so I make no promises as to how often I will be posting.  At least for the time being.  I do enjoy the process of blogging and meeting new folks through it, so my thought at the moment is that once I do retire and have more time to devote not only to blogging, but also to the pursuit of my myriad interests which will provide much of the content of this blog, my posting will become more regular.


Fading Glory


I am also at a bit of an awkward point in those interests at the moment as it's now the time of the season where the garden is looking tired and rather sad, I'm more or less finished canning from the garden for now (there may be one more batch of tomatoes to put up so I'll see about posting about that), and I'm currently caught up in rather mundane maintenance chores around the house that I have no interest in including here.



So, why start blogging now?  Basically, eagerness I guess.  That and the fact that I am going through a slow period at work right now, so I do have some time.  And I'm viewing this as a "warm-up" for after retirement when I am looking forward to really having fun with it.  This will also give me a chance to develop my photography skills a bit for the web.  I am by no means a photographer, but hopefully this will give me a chance to practice some "mindful" picture-taking and not just go snap-happy.

If you've found me, thanks for reading this far and I hope you'll stick around and watch with me to see what this thing turns into.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment