Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Signs of life!

Despite the fact that we've had another mixed bag of weather here in Toronto today, and all of it wintry and not at all conducive to thoughts of gardening, I was thrilled to discover signs of life this morning in my seed nursery!


As there were only a few sprouts up in each of the trays (except the jalapenos -- no suprise there!), I left the clear covers on the trays through the day and checked on them again when I got home this evening. What a difference a day makes! I came home to sprouts in most of the pots/cells so I removed the clear plastic covers to give the seedlings air and reduce the humidity level.


I have sprouts up for each of my five tomato varieties including my Black Brandywine "cherry" tomato!  I am thrilled to see these brave little sprouts reaching for the light and I can hardly wait to see how they grow and whether or not they will actually produce more cherry-sized versions of the Black Brandywine tomatoes from last year.


My marigolds and zinnias are also up, but nothing from the jalapenos so far. It's only been a few days so I'll leave them for a while and see what happens. The seeds could quite well be sterile, but I won't know if I don't try, right?


I had raised the grow lights in order to take the photos above, so I've lowered them again, leaving the covers off. I will continue the daily monitoring, watering from the bottom by adding water to the trays as needed avoiding wetting the sprouts themselves.  We are off and growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment