Sunday, January 24, 2016

Signs of spring.

It's been a while since I've posted anything not related to the GAPS diet, so with all the snow hitting the eastern seaboard over the last couple of days, I felt like talking about spring. Plus, a sure sign of spring for me arrived in the mail on Friday: the Vesey's bulb and seed catalogues.


Nothing lifts my spirits on a cold winter's afternoon more than leafing through gardening catalogues and dreaming of all the warm spring days to come. We're nearing the end of January and the days are getting noticeably longer. I no longer am leaving in the dark (although it IS still dark when I get up -- this, too, shall pass) and the sun is actually still visible on the horizon when I get home in the evening.

All this warms my heart and makes me realize that no matter how cold and blustery the weather may be at the moment, spring is on its way. February will soon be here and it will be time to start planning the garden, buying seeds, and setting up the greenhouse in the basement, ready to start planting.

So, if you're caught in the snow right now, stay safe, stay warm, gather up some seed catalogues and gardening magazines, grab a cup of tea, sit and dream and know that spring is just 57 days away!

No comments:

Post a Comment